Friday, July 15, 2005

Disappointment

Man: Sorry to trouble you, but do you have a mirror I could borrow please?
Girl: A mirror, ummm, I think so, hang on [pause] It's in here somewhere...
Man: It's just that I had a tooth out yesterday and it's very sore, I'm not supposed to smoke, but I just smoked today and it's hurting.
Girl: Oh, I bet that's horrible. Here you go.
Man: Thank you. Do you mind if I take it over there, near the light?
Girl: No, that's fine, go ahead.
[a few seconds pass, the coffee machine hisses over piped music]
Man: Thank you very much. You are very beautiful, what's your name?
Girl: [hesitant] Julia.
Man: I'm Ted. Nice to meet you. I have terrible pain in my tooth. What do you do?
Girl: I work nearby, at X.
Man: Oh, yes I know it, you are very beautiful. How old are you?
Girl: Listen, I have to go. I have a meeting to get to. Nice to meet you though.
Man: Yes, nice to meet you. Thank you for the mirror.
[the door closes and clean air greets young skin]

No comments: