Saturday, July 02, 2005

Do you speak English?

Earlier today I stood up in front of 60-or-so people, of varying ages, heights, social classes, tastes in clothes, religious backgrounds, and talked for just less than an hour about a subject I'm more than passionate about. Ok, it was hot. Ok, it was 10am on a Saturday morning and the coffee was lukewarm. Ok, they got me and not Bono or Tony Blair... but they were so unresponsive! I couldn't believe it! I could have been demonstrating how to clean out a hamster's cage for all the interest they showed. During my talk I noticed:

1 woman asleep (later awoken by friend)
2 football-hooligan lookalikes scratching their heads repeatedly in uncomprehension
3 people leaving, 1 politely creeping out the side, two making a noisy exit
1 guy looking at his watch
my mate Phil smiling at me encouragingly.

Thank God for Phil! That's all I can say.

No comments: