Thursday, April 20, 2006

Durian


Singapore's national fruit is called the "durian", and it's got a fierce reputation for being one of those things to taunt foreigners with! About the size of a melon with spiky green skin, the inside holds pockets of vomit-yellow fruit. The most distinctive characteristic isn't the appearance of this spiky fruit, but the smell... akin to a toilet after a dodgy curry! Consequently they are banned on public transport and people cross the road to avoid a stall selling them at the side of the road. The people I live with, like many Singaporeans, love the durian though. I wanted to try it and tried to have an open mind as I put the slimy flesh into my mouth whilst holding my nose. Two mouthfuls were enough to convince me that I can leave the humble durian off my list of new favourites... even the pigs' trotters were better than this.

No comments: