Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Eeeeekkkkk!!!

There was a storm last night, nothing special about that, it rains loads here and it’s always heavy and aggressive – none of that pathetic English drizzle that can’t decide if it wants to rain or not. Getting off the bus, I threw up my inadequate umbrella and decisively set off up the hill for home, figuring I could always jump straight in the shower should I get soaked. There was something ever-so-slightly scary about walking in this storm though… the night seemed darker than black, the clouds holding up a shade in front of the moon’s light. I carried on, each footstep meeting the pavement firmly in my attempt to get home, and fast. About ten steps on, I step out of my flip flop. No big deal, I turn and retrieve it, slipping my toes into the wet leather. I can’t really see anything, umbrella overhead, my eyes skim the pavement, and my head is full of music turned up loud to counteract the white noise of rain on concrete. Then it happens. A few seconds later a dark streak passes across the pavement and I tread on something small and squishy. Then I hear it, as if in slow motion, ‘Eeekkk!!! Eeekkk!! Eeek! Eeek!’ I look down as I walk on to see a mouse scuttling into the storm drain, having been trodden on by 55kg of Caucasian girl with a small umbrella! I’m ashamed to say that my first thought was for my sanity, wondering if I’d have nightmares. It was only when I shook my umbrella out under the car port that my mind turned to the poor creature. It was probably being flooded out of its home in the storm drain and rushing to the surface for respite gets trodden on by a giant! I hope it’s ok. I mean, I don’t really like mice, but I wouldn’t want to break one’s spine or anything. I’ll be more careful in the rain from now on, I promise.

No comments: