Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Lite

Have you noticed that lots of things are 'lite' nowadays. I don't mean to sound like one of those ranting senior citizens who say things like, "Now then, listen here, all that low-fat rubbish is nonsense! If everyone just got off their fat arse and worked hard rather than watching Richard & Judy all day they'd be able to drink full-cream milk!" I don't really care what other people eat and drink, I mean, it doesn't affect me, and if someone who's dangerously overweight wants to eat a Burger King, well that's ok by me. But sometimes enough is enough, and the healthy option can see like a good idea. I was in Cold Storage the other day (Singapore's equivalent of Waitrose), buying soy milk and laughing at the hilarity of the specially-grown $50 square watermelon, when I noticed that my regular brand of beany-fake-milk-stuff had introduced a 'lite' version. The spelling immediately got my back up, I mean it's only one letter less than the correct spelling! Come on. But it got me thinking... maybe I should be consuming less calories. Maybe if I drink 'lite' soy milk on my cereal I'll be able to eat something else instead. But the problem I've found is that the 'lite' version is generally a euphenism for 'crap-tasting', so I deliberated for a good few minutes on whether to buy it or not. (I would never have wasted such time in London, I was lucky if I even got to the shops, but time is wide-open here, like the grand canyon, all that space just waiting to be filled.) Eventually I buy it, and am disappointed, as I expected. It's kinda watery and more acidic. But hey, at least I can eat another piece of Green & Blacks* to compensate.

* Thank you to everyone who has sent rations of my favourite choc, so much so that there's a bit of a glut at the moment. Unfortunately the ants are rather fond of the Maya Gold, so keep it til I get back folks!

No comments: