Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Thrifting

Our American friends across the pond are fond of the term 'thrifting', to describe buying anything second-hand for cheap... either from yard sales, charity shops, ebay or flea markets. Charity Shop Chic is having somewhat of a revival in London, but I wonder thrifting will be in fashion soon...

I love Vintage clothes and accessories, but generally resent paying what is charged at most shops, especially when I know the clothes have probably come from the local Oxfam anyway. I hadn't bought much for this reason for a while. But, a recent visit to a beautiful vintage shop in the Lake District made me get all excited about vintage again. The shop is called Ruby Blue and it's located in Carlisle, a little too far for most Londoners to travel to, but good inspiration nonetheless.

I scored two gorgeous dresses - a red and white printed wrap dress that is very me and just gorgeous. The only drawback is that I later realised it is made from 100% polyester. Oh so washable but oh so sweaty! Not such a summery find then.


The second is rather hilarious - a grey woolen pinafore that will take more than the usual tweaking to fit as it's a maternity dress. I just couldn't resist the beautiful neckline though. If I get round to altering it any time soon I'll post some photos.

No comments: