Thursday, July 31, 2008

Love in a Gocco Shaped Box

I've been trying to up the creative stakes of late... Though the list of sewing is getting longer and longer (for a little project I'll talk about soon), I have a million ideas of new things to make and just wish there were more hours in the day.

I've been doing some research and I found out about a Japanese screen-printing machine called a Gocco. Imagine my excitement when I realised what can be done with this little machine!


Image (c) Chris Keegan, found via Flickr. For more of Chris' work see here.

This little video * gives you an idea of the process involved, it's old-fashioned and quirky, but that's part of the appeal.

At the same time as I was thinking about a Gocco, I read on a friend's blog that she had just bought one. She printed some gorgeous cards and I quickly emailed to share my excitement. To cut a long story short she then helped me buy a second hand Gocco on Etsy (the US crafters site) and I actually did a victory lap of the sitting room with excitement! I just can't wait to get my little mitts on it :-) I promise to post my first attempt, failure or success for you to see.

*The video link should now be working - thanks to Suzanne for pointing out that the link didn't work.

2 comments:

Tastebud said...

Hi! Did you make that print with your "new" Gocco?! It's beautiful! Um, a couple of glitches: the little video link and the Relatime widget link don't go anywhere. Is it my Firefox browser, or does some code need checking?
Anyway, thanks for sharing your inspiration! Suzanne

Jules Evans said...

I didn't make the print featured sadly - there's a link to the artist on my post though!

I haven't got my gocco yet, but watch this space for photos when it arrives!

I've fixed the code and the video link now works. Thanks!