Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mamma Mia


Mamma Mia the movie is out this week, and I have to say it's the worst film I've ever seen. I watched it in a cinema chock-full of oestrogen and from the slightly confused faces all around me I can deduce that most of the other women didn't enjoy it either. I really wished I'd brought a manuscript to read so that I could have got two hours work done instead of listening to Pierce Brosnan's attempt at singing. He tried. But he still can't sing. Maybe that wasn't the point though...

Anyway, the redeeming factor was that it was a fabric lover's delight. The film is set in a run-down rustic hotel on a Greek island, and everywhere you looked there was gorgeous fabric. At one point the fabric hanging on the washing line was Josef Frank*! I excitedly whispered this to the friend on my right, but sadly she didn't share my excitement.

Here's one of his designs 'Green Birds':

I'd like to say it was worth it for this alone. But I'd be lying.

* Swedish fabric designer of a similar era to Marimekko. His fabrics sell at £99 a metre in Liberty of London, but I can dream.

2 comments:

Pat R said...

I was coerced into seeing Mamma Mia (the play), which ended up being great... as for the movie version, sounds fun, though it's awkward to think of ol' Pierce trying to sing, yeeesh

Mademoiselle Bagatelles said...

I love this fabric, it's so cute!!!