Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vintage Notions

I love the term 'notions'. I don't think it's used very much nowadays, probably something my grandma would refer to. Us modern folk talk of 'haberdashery' instead, but it's more clinical and less like Alice's rabbit-hole than a real notions shop.

A little trip to the Isle of Wight uncovered an old-fashioned notions shop in Ryde. There was no sign outside, and every nook and cranny, including the floor, was full to bursting with ribbons, buttons, elastic, thread of every colour, lace, wool, beads, feathers, braiding, ric rac, velcro, cotton... in other words, my dream come true.

Fortunately I was with two other ribbon fanciers, who didn't have to get bored waiting outside whilst I repeatedly told myself to calm down and buy less.

Here are some of the glorious notions I left with:

Check out the pom poms!

These are my favourites - embroidered ribbons from the 1960s (the shopkeeper told me he's had these since he first opened the shop!)

I love the farmer chasing the chicken with his fork. I hope to make something lovely using each of the designs and will post the results for you to see.

No comments: