Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Everything and nothing

So, ten or so days since leaving the UK, what has changed? Well, everything and nothing. I'm here in the office with a decaf soya latte from Starbucks. Earlier, I chatted to the girl at the coffee counter about the weather in London (everyone asks how cold it is... but how can you describe what four degrees and wind chill feels like to people who live so near the equator?), and then stepped out into the (warm) rain to go back the office. I'm here at my computer and as I look up I can see photos of people I know, books I've worked on, resources I've helped produce. At lunch today I ate dried chilli chicken and rice, which came with a rather nice fried egg on top... a bit of a change from Pret A Manger. I'm craving carrot sticks and houmous, and wholemeal bread with seeds in it. I'm sure I can buy all those things but it's not really the authentic Asian experience.

No comments: