Friday, January 27, 2006

Meatballs

The other day it was one of my new work colleague's birthdays. I only found out on the day itself and was immediately concerned about my lack of card/present/bunch of flowers for the birthday girl. But no need to fear, it soon transpired that no one else had anything to give her either... perhaps they're not that into presents, or maybe it's too near to Chinese New Year for anyone to bother. Time went on and someone did suggest that we take her out for lunch, and a discussion started about where we should go. I was only half-listening, I've been involved in many of these discussions with my London workmates, and know how boring they can get. Also, since being here I often can't quite tune my ear into the place names and the conversation is often half conducted in Mandarin. So 1pm comes, my stomach is saying 'I'm hungry but please no more carbs!' and we clamber into a taxi. Ten minutes later we arrive at our destination... it can't be, no. Someone's joking! No, really this is it, we're here. Where did we go for lunch guys? You'll never guess... Ikea! Yes, the Swedish furniture shop! It seems that meatballs and salmon hollandaise are the height of trendiness in these parts, maybe the equivalent of Itsu at Brompton Cross...

So when I'm back and offer to take you for a birthday lunch, just watch out, we may be buying a kitchen on the way out.

No comments: