Tuesday, January 17, 2006

The Kindness of Strangers

I remember thinking before I came out to Singapore that for the first time in ages, possibly in my whole life, I was going to have to rely on the kindness of strangers. When you come to a country knowing not a soul there's little else to do. I can honestly say that I think it's going to be good for me. In some ways my life in London was very much set – not in stone, but in routine, and in the cold country there's always a plethora of people to call up and go out for coffee with. This Sunday I was forced to swallow my 'everyone knows me' identity and start again… I met up with a couple who are friends of friends from home, (in fact, they're famous, every time I'd mentioned Singapore their names came up.) They don't know me, nor I them, yet they were awesome! They completely looked after me and didn't seem to mind as I tagged onto their day out with an ex-pat family. In a few hours we were drinking red wine and playing mah jong on the porch in the last of the balmy evening's light. Ahhhh. The grey London sky is a million miles away.

No comments: