Saturday, January 21, 2006

King Bean

If you want to be hip, be a soya bean! Everyone loves the humble bean in Asia. I love soy and I'm in Asia , so I guess that's a good thing... At home people react with a mixture of horror, disdain or annoyance when I order soya milk in a coffee shop. I'm sure they suspect I'm only doing it to be cool, or different, it's so trendy to be intolerant to something nowadays. But here, soya is so cool! Everyone loves it! Soya drinks come in cans and are proudly chilled next to the coca-cola and green tea in restaurant fridges. I must admit, I still haven't got to the stage of drinking it straight, but stranger things have happened... Downtown there's a whole shop/cafe that only sells stuff made from soya... fake ice cream, bread with soy in it, cakes, a zillion flavours of soya drinks. I can't imagine it catching on in London as most people I know wretch at the thought of the lack of animal fat in their white stuff.

1 comment:

Jules Evans said...

Very wise. I should have employed that tactic when I asked what meat was in a dish the other day. Satisfied with the answer, 'pork', I ate half the meal before realising I was eating pig inards! Doesn't bear thinking about...