Friday, March 03, 2006

Frothy tea anyone?

Starbucks really are missing out on one mother of a marketing opportunity… Haven’t they heard of a tea-chino or a milo-chino, or a horlicks-chino for that matter? Obviously not. Well I think they’re missing out. Today I tentatively stuck my neck out and tried a ‘tea-chino’ in my local Muslim Indian seafood restaurant. For starters, I caused a bit of a stir by virtue of being a Caucasian woman dining alone, but once I’d managed to establish that I knew what to order and how to pronounce ‘roti prata’ in just the right accent, the over-attentive waiter with bad moustache left me alone. A few seconds after ordering (better service than Starbucks), a beer mug of frothy tea, with a head that deserved the glass, appeared in front of Jules’ eager eyes. I’ve never fancied frothy tea, assuming it was caused by lime scale and unidentifiable bits in the kettle, but this was lush… sweet with an illusion of ginger somewhere in there… The ladies at work think I’m really adventurous, maybe I’ll show them just how adventurous I am and order a ‘horlicks dinosaur’* next time…

* that’s a little mystery for you all… answers on a comment and dinner to anyone who can guess what it is. (Singaporeans not allowed to answer!)

No comments: