Friday, March 17, 2006

Ok, it's getting weirder!

Yesterday had to be up there in the most bizarre days of my entire life... After some pretty straightforward meetings in the morning and tasty Beijing beef noodles for lunch, my colleague and I got a call to say another meeting had been set up for us with publishing house. We didn't know anything about it, but decided to go with the flow and jump in the taxi...

An hour later we arrived at a pretty unexciting office - ten desks, ten phones, ten computers, ten minutes looking around, not quite sure what we were looking at! We then got back in the taxi and drove an hour back into town to the head office, where were greeted enthusiastically by four Chinese men who proceeded to tell us how great their company was... My mind was ticking and reality began to hit - they wanted to publish and distribute our stuff. We were then taken out to an expensive Sezchuan restaurant. I've recently developed an ability to eat things that actually make me wretch, it's been pretty useful on this trip! The only strange food I ate at this meal was pig's liver - I wouldn't have touched it but it was already on my plate and I was kind of committed!

The Chinese do business late into the night, over dinner and lots of drinking... I luckily managed to make my quarter glass of 52% proof rice-wine last all evening, but some weren't so lucky. Almost at the end of the meal, the guy next to me, who'd been knocking back the stuff, proceeded to vomit right onto the dinner table! It was awful! That brought the meal to an abrupt end and half an hour later I feel into bed, exhausted, head spinning with the craziness of the day, and my mind shouting 'Enough! No more stimulation! Please!' Let's see what tomorrow brings...

No comments: