Thursday, March 09, 2006

Wibble wobble


It’s been a funny week so far… after a little wobble at the weekend (probably brought on by not enough sleep or getting out of bed on the wrong side), which had me thinking ‘why am I here in Singapore? What am I doing? Why don’t I go back to London?’, I’m now loving it again. Every week that passes by I see more of this country and experience the kindness of the people. Because everyone speaks English, well, Singlish to be precise, lah, it’s easy to ignore the cultural differences and expect things to be as they are at home. But Asia is Asia, and I’m only just beginning to understand the Chinese culture. Living with a Chinese family is probably the best thing I’ve done in my whole adult life, just being with them and chatting about their experiences, views on the world etc has opened up my mind to a whole other world. Lucy, who’s the same age as my mum and just as lovely, is teaching me to cook Chinese food. So far I can make Hainese Chicken Rice, Char Siew (Chinese Roast pork), Roti Jalu (India lacy pancakes) and dumplings! Legend. When I’m back I promise to have you all round for a feast…

No comments: