Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The weirdest city, ever


This few months is providing a milliard of firsts... this week, my first visit to China. I'm writing this blog from Beijing, in a hotel which could be anywhere in the world, so generic is the interior. Step outside, however, and I'm in a place foreign to my English eyes. Having arrived last night, I was suddenly rendered illiterate - unable to even read a road sign, let alone pronounce it correctly! Maybe that experience is good for me and can remind me of what it's like to be in a foreign place. My impressions so far of this huge city are mixed... I'm here for work, and I've met the kindest most open people, yet there's an oppressive atmosphere here... I can't explain it, but the smog that covers the city, even on this sunny, crisp Spring day, seems to penetrate my skin and makes me feel uneasy. There's lots to love and explore though, the food is fantastic, soft dim sum for breakfast and a Chinese banquet for dinner - you can't do better than that! I'm hoping to get to the Great Wall of China at the weekend. Though the myth that it can be seen from space has been dispelled, I'm still excited about walking along one of the Great Wonders of the World. It's times like these, alone late at night in an unfamiliar hotel room, when I'm reminded how lucky I am, that this world we live in is full of newness and the kindness of strangers, if we just get out of our comfort zone to look for it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love you Jules!! China sounds amazing! Love Graham