Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Ooo it's warm out here!

I've been meaning to write something about the weather for ages, but have procrastinated as I didn't want to appear like I was bragging or anything. It's been between 28 and 34 degrees since I arrived and it's now hotting up even more. The thing is, the heat doesn't bother me in itself, in fact it's quite nice to be wearing flip flops all the time, but couple that with the damp humidity and you're in a whole world of trouble! I hadn't really experienced humidity like it until coming here, I suppose it is a tropical climate though! I've adopted various tactics from the locals to aclimatise to the stickiness:
  • Wearing two layers rather than one, the bottom one absorbs all the sweat, even though you do get a bit hotter
  • Putting something called a 'thirsty hippo' into my wardrobe. This hippo absorbs the moisture from the air and stops my clothes going mouldy
  • Putting a damp cloth on the floor in my room before I go to bed so that I don't wake up like a shrivelled orange from the air con
  • Moth balls ... hmmm. All my clothes smell of them, but better than being holey
  • Don't walk anywhere, ever, if you can help it. Not even to the end of the road

If you're reading this wearing four layers and a hat to keep the draught from coming in then I apologise. I would change places with you tomorrow.... ummm, can you hear the insincerity in my tone?

1 comment:

Jules Evans said...

Hmmm sounds lush! I'll be getting to Sydney in April but will try to get to Perth too! Ahhh bet you're missing the heat in London...