Sunday, February 19, 2006

G'day!

My gorgeous friend Graham once went out with an Austrian girl who used to complain that everyone's view of her home country was based solely on The Sound Of Music. I remember thinking this was quite funny, and then realising in horror that my view of Austria really was based on the singing Von Trapp family! I was ashamed and tried to rectify the situation with a quick google search and a vow never to be in the same narrow-minded place again.

This morning as I woke to the sun stretching his fingers through an unfamiliar window, I heard the sound of a small animal screaching outside... My brain works on go-slow at that time of the morning but today the realisation I was 'down under' kinda hit me at top speed. (I'm the furthest away from home I've ever been in my entire 26 and a bit years of existence, yet everything feels normal. Anyway, I digress.) The lady I was staying with had told me that the screaching sound was the noise of 'little possums' (said in a Dame Edna-esque voice!) outside. "Do you know about possums?" she asked? "Oh yeah," I said. "Hannah from Neighbours adopted one once..." Arrrggghhh!! I suddenly realised that my view of Australia was based almost wholly on a bad tv soap... Must be more cultured and wise. Must be more cultured and wise...

No comments: