Sunday, February 05, 2006

Koala

Just got back from a hot weekend in Kuala Lumpur. I'm still not completely set-up computer-wise, so you'll have to imagine the photo of me at the Petronas towers... KL was cool. I hadn't realised how this tiny island can start to feel a bit claustrophobic... everything here is squeaky clean (I saw a man cleaning the road signs the other day), and I was desperate for a bit of raw reality. So I set off with my toothbrush, sunscreen, bikini (well a girl can dream!) and hopes for a change of scenery and the 'real' Asia. The bus journey takes five hours and was better than any I've ever taken in the UK, this was no National Express. The seats were huge and reclined, we were served lunch and snacks of watermelon and red bean dumplings at various stages along the way and best of all the journey actually took the time it said it would.

Highlights of KL included:


- buying a pair of really nice sandals for less than 4 pounds
- eating chey keow in Chinatown just next to a lady killing frogs by whacking them on the head with a hammer (hang on, that shouldn't be in the highlights section, you call yourself an editor?!)
- sleeping for a really long time in a king size bed (yes on my own!)
- watching or should I say listening to the lion dance for Chinese New Year as it went through Starbucks to bring 'luck and prosperity'

No comments: